Friday, March 4, 2016

The Donald, Citrus Bomb



















This is the fourth batch of Live Soda. In my experiments, I've found a 10 Brix sugar level is just about right for my taste. The finished beverage tastes sweet but not overly so. I didn't always measure the specific gravity, but it sure helps to keep track of how much sugar to use per batch.

I'm calling it The Donald, Citrus Bomb with obvious references to our "Reality TV Presidential Candidate". And if he wins in the Florida Primary election then he will truly be the Citrus Bomb! Look out Florida Senator Marco Rubio. 
Okay, let's get to the ingredients

Brewed on 02-27-16
Brix: 10
Specific Gravity: 1.04
3-juice oranges,
1/3 cup of Jaggery
1-tsp of bourbon vanilla
Coriander
A few cloves
1/4 oz sliced ginger

Add the spices, water and sugar in a pot and simmer for a few minutes, cool and add orange juice. Pour through a sieve into a 1-liter bottle. Add about 1/3 cup of ginger bug and top up with water. Shake well, cap and let sit at room temperature for approximately 24 hours. I wanted to increase the ginger flavor with this batch, so I reserved some of the simmered sliced ginger and put it right into the bottle.

First impressions:
The color is beautiful. Like Florida sunshine. Good carbonation, with a rich orange/citrus taste. 









No comments:

Post a Comment