Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Ginger Bugs, Naturally Fermented Soda



I recently heard about Ginger bugs while researching recipes for Ginger Beer. I was fascinated with the idea and wanted to try making one. For those of you who don't know, its a cultured yeast from the skins of fresh ginger root. There are plenty of recipes for them on the internet. This natural yeast starter has beneficial bacteria which is then used to create carbonated soda or tea.

The Ginger Bug is made by adding filtered water to a very clean jar and to that add a bit of sugar and grated organic ginger. Mix well, cover and place jar in a warm kitchen. In a few days the mixture will hopefully begin to bubble. Once the bug is started, you can use this to make a naturally fermented soda. 

I've been making wine, beer and soda for years. Most of my soda's were carbonated with wine yeast. I would mix a fruit juice with water and add additional flavoring and wine yeast. Bottle the mixture then let it sit in a warm place for about three days until carbonated. You know it's carbonated when you open a bottle and there is plenty of bubbles. Sometimes the bottle will pop with the force of champagne, with half the contents fizzing into the sink. If you're lucky. I've never had a bottle explode because I handle them with extreme care. When you're soda is carbonated, put the bottles into the refrigerator to stop the carbonation. You can avoid exploding bottles by re-using plastic soda bottles.

My ginger bug making was a success. My ginger bug has been bubbling away for about a month now. I feed the bug with sugar and sliced ginger and some water each week. Sometimes placing the jar in my cool basement which is a fairly constant 50-55 degrees.
I was skeptical that a ginger bug was a good way to carbonate soda having used commercial yeast for years. Now, I love it. It's convenient and handy. whenever I want to make a carbonated beverage, I just mix of a tea, add the bug and bottle. Obviously I am oversimplifying the process, but the convenience and time savings is great.




No comments:

Post a Comment