Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Ginger bug soda #1

My first attempt at making this unusual drink went well until I bottled the batch too early. The ginger bug is not as vigorous as the wine yeast I'm accustomed to using. After patiently waiting for the beverage to carbonate, the three plus days were up and nothing was happening. Luckily I had fed a new starter, ready to go and was able to uncork all the bottles, pour them back into a gallon jug and try to restart a stuck ferment. After filling the jug most of the way, I poured a cup and a half of fresh ginger bug in and added some molasses and sugar, mixed well and capped with my trusty fermentation lock. By the morning bubbles and frothing indicated a successful restart was well underway. I'll let this ferment for a day or so and try to rebottle. 















The soda (Makes 1 - U.S. Gallon) was originally made with 2/3 gallon water, 3 grapefruit, 1 ounce cascade hops, a 1/2 stick vanilla bean, and 1-3/4 cups of sugar. I cooked and cooled the mixture, then added in 1-1/2 cups ginger bug and topped up with water, mixed well and bottled right away. I used amber beer bottles with crown caps. I washed and sterilized the bottles and kept everything spotlessly clean. 

After reviving the yeast in the gallon jug and letting it ferment a few days, I was able to bottle the soda a second time.  I let this sit in the bottles in a warm place for one day and checked the carbonation. Perfect. I moved the bottles to the very cold back porch. 

First impression: The flavor is very strong, not too sweet, a bitter brew with a kick of hops and sharp tang from the grapefruit and ginger bug. A bit too much, strong and sour, but I think it's a start. 

Second tasting a week later, the flavor has mellowed a bit. It's less harsh but has a bold, spicy richness that would go well with vodka or rum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment